As the time oh so quickly marches on to your due date, I find Wednesday's to be particularly exciting since I get my weekly babycenter update that tells me your typical growth, what should be going on with me, blabity blah. What I find even more interesting is the food items associated with your (or typical) size. So, guess what this week is? I bet you never will guess. A Rutabaga. I am sorry; do I look like a farmer? No. Unfortunately, my family raised me in the city and if rutabaga is not in my vocabulary, it's definitely not in yours. So, let's learn a little lesson today shall we?
The rutabaga, swede (from Swedish turnip), or yellow turnip is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip. Its leaves can also be eaten as a leaf vegetable (ode to wikipedia).
It's Swedish!?! Shucks! Great Gramma and Great Grampa are going to be very disappointed. Apparently the Swedish Glee Club didn't hit on standard Swede veggies. Get this though! Though I am dearly disappointed that you'll just barely miss the official kick off to the holiday season (but definitely not disappointed enough to come as early as Halloween young man), the rutabaga was what was originally hallowed out and carved with faces to make lanterns for Halloween. As you will quickly learn in your first year, pumpkins have since taken that role in the dear old USA. Cool!
Now that we're both officially a little bit smarter than we were only 10 minutes ago, go take a nap and stop using my uterus as your boxing ring so I can get some work done.
Until next time.
Love,
mama
You are the funniest. I look forward to the next letter to little man that we all get to read. :o)
ReplyDelete