Our Family

Our Family

Monday, November 23, 2009

Dear Baby...welcome Matthew Robert

Matthew, our little Matty,


What a whirlwind our last two weeks have been. The easiest part about any of this is that it is already as if we know each other, and therefore are able to be more patient with one another as we both adjust to this new world. The world, as I knew it, will never EVER be the same. The world as you know it is a world of possibilities and your journey is just beginning. The days leading up to your arrival were long and felt as if you were never coming. Of course, it seems as if you were waiting for the perfect day. Low and behold you were born on Grandma's birthday. With so many birthdays in November, the chances were pretty high that you would be born on one of the many birthdays we're lucky enough to celebrate. Auntie Bethy so wanted you to be born on her birthday. After celebrating for a brief time with her on Sunday afternoon, November 8th at 10:15pm marked the beginning of your highly anticipated arrival. One minute after my water broke (and a full minute of denial) the contractions hit full on every two to four minutes for at least a minute, sometimes so intense they made me sick. As we showered and pulled together last minute items in between contractions, we finally made it to the hospital only to find out that I got the last room, an overflow room. Little did I know that the remarkable labor pains would have to be worked through unmedicated for over 5 hours (I know poor me). Thank goodness for all the pregnancy yoga classes I took as well as the helping hand of my wonderful husband and mother. 5:30am was even more glorious as it was the time when my beloved epidural was administered. I now know what jello legs feel like. Before we knew it, my mom and I were trying to convince the nurse to do an early check since the pressure was becoming so intense. Much to all our surprise, Daddy and the nurse saw your little head of hair coming at full force. Only a few rounds of practice pushes and only minutes to spare, Dr McNeal was able to get out of surgery and make it to the miracle of your birth. Since that moment, at 9:14am, life as we know it has changed. There hasn't been anything easy about the adjustment besides the love we feel for you. Daddy and I did our best to put on our parenting hats right away and struggled through our first night with a nurse that made it harder than necessary. Feeding was such a struggle for you and I and took the better part of the last two weeks to somewhat figure out. Step by step, your Dad was there to support me through every decision and every tear in both the hospital and the last two weeks at home. Your 2nd night wasn't any easier for you as you had to spend the entire evening into the morning of our next day under the lamps to help bring your jaundice levels down. I couldn't wait to get you home.




On your first evening with us in this scary world and in the midst of your dreaming, your Dad took a moment with me and gave me two unexpected, unnecessary but beautiful and much appreciated gifts. He had champagne glasses engraved with your initials, MRH along with a bottle of Perrier Jouet. Already a wonderful surprise, he handed me a bag and inside it a small box. Inside that small box was absolutely gorgeous diamond earrings. I haven't taken them off since and still get teary that he felt the need to get me two presents, equally as perfect and thoughtful, and not at all surprising coming from him. He is the love of my life.




November 9th was truly a perfectly unforgetable day. I pray for patience for both you and me. I pray that we learn all we can, do what's best for each other and make it through this difficult time. I hope I can only live up to your expectations and be a good parent. I know it's hard now. I know we'll see many challenges in our lifetime with one another. But this big scary world and this gigantic adventure is taking some getting used to. I hope I enjoy it for all it's worth and all I can. This journey with your father which lead us to the beautiful moment of creating you, preparing for you for 10 months and then finally holding you in our arms will be a memory we will cherish for all eternity. You are a beautiful creation of a beautiful love. I love seeing your Dad's face in yours. Happy 2nd week birthday my baby.



I love you forever.

Love, mama

No comments:

Post a Comment